Instruction manual for the butterfly jig
Get more out of your Gifkins jig! The butterfly jig instruction manual is a valuable resource for the experienced box maker.
The butterfly jig instruction manual guides you through a project featuring a beautiful box with butterfly keys in the lid.
A dovetailed trinket box using the Gifkins butterfly jig assumes that you are familar with using the Gifkins dovetail jig and general box making techniques.
The manual is full of photos to guide you through the following processes…
- construct an uneven-sided box using the Gifkins jig
- construct a frame-and-panel lid
- cut the butterfly shapes in the mitred corners of the lid frame
- make a long butterfly key bar
- cut and fit the individual keys
- test measure the lid then trim for fit
- make recesses in the box and lid for the stop hinges
- test measure then install the hinges, and
- sand and fine-finish the lid and box.
The box making techniques demonstrated in this manual are based on Col Hosie’s years of refining and teaching his craft. He strives to make box making easy by showing the simplest way to get a pleasing result. That said, he acknowledges that box makers often favour other methods to achieve the same result.
Please read the safety instructions noted inside the front cover.
This publication is included in the Mini jbutterfly jig package and the Standard jig adapter kit for butterfly keys.
A dovetailed trinket box using the Gifkins butterfly jig is published by Gifkins Dovetail.
Please note: postage will be added when we process your order.