Jumbo backing boards [pair]
Pair of Jumbo backing boards to fit the Jumbo jig body.
The jumbo backing boards are ‘sacrificial’. They are designed to protect the back of your joint as you cut through. The result is a clean, sharp joint without the tear-out. This protection is particularly important when you use thin timbers and fibrous timbers.
When you cut large joints, say Jumbo B dovetails, you take out all available backing board protection. So, the next time you cut a smaller joint with this pair of backing boards-it will have no protection and probably have ‘tear-out’.
To overcome this problem we recommend that you…
- Have a set of marked backing boards for every template that you love to work with.
To do this cheaply and easily…purchase, or make, a pair of backing boards for every two preferred timber thicknesses.
For example, with a marker pen, write the template name [say Jumbo A], and a preferred timber thickness [say 8mm], on the bottom of a pair of new standard boards, dovetail-side and straight-side.
- Now, mark the top edges of the same standard backing boards with another preferred timber thickness [say 10mm], dovetail-side and straight-side.
- Repeat this process for each template.
- Change out the backing boards when necessary, as part of your preparation for each box making session.
- To make your own backing boards, purchase 12mm MDF from any leading hardware store. Use one of your backing boards as a template, remembering to counter-sink the screw holes.
Have you looked at our box making accessories? We have accessories to make your box making easier and safer! Click here to see the custom-made clamp holders and Bessey Kliklamps.
Please note: postage will be added when we process your order.